This new site contains all of the content from the old site, but more organized, in a more pleasing format.
If, for any reason, you wish to view the old site, you may do so here.
The new site uses WordPress software, a hugely popular content management system (CMS). A CMS makes it easy for people to add or change content without having to know anything about web design or technology. Even people who understand the technology very well choose to use a CMS because it is faster and less error-prone than doing everything from scratch.
The old site used Yahoo SiteBuilder, which is obsolete, half-baked, and very difficult to use. The new site is still hosted by Yahoo, but we can maintain the site without having to interact with Yahoo’s poor tools.
With WordPress we get some more site features right from the start:
- You can comment on posts
- The whole site is searchable
- You can sign up for the newsletter mailing list
- You can subscribe to receive email when the site is updated
Where To Next?
Now that the site is in WordPress, we can add content more frequently. When I say “we”, I mean club officers, trustees, employees, and other responsible volunteers such as myself. When I say “content”, I mean any of the following:
- News items. Just like the newsletter items, but can be posted more frequently and corrected when necessary.
- Useful info. For example, I made a roster of club officers, and pages about regularly scheduled meals and gaming. (Yes, this info is in the newsletter also.)
- Links to other places. For example, I have posted links to galleries containing my photos from Officer Installations and Kid’s Christmas Parties.
We may be able to have an interactive calendar on the site.
We could start to phase out the newsletter in favor of more frequent postings to the site.
Questions? Suggestions? Feedback?
Contact Rob Gilde at firstname.lastname@example.org